Good Friday morning MCS friends and families! We are trying a new fundraiser this year, Little Caesar’s Pizza kits! Who does love a good pizza, especially on a busy night when you need something quick and delicious to feed your family? This fundraiser will help! There are many different kits available in the catalogs including different types of pizza (deep dish, signature pizzas, thin crust), bread sticks, cookie kits, pizza paddles and cutters and more! Many of the kits are available for $20, a great deal for a family meal! Watch your students take home folder as the order forms will be coming home by today. The sale will go through the end of April, with order forms and money due back to school on April 28th. Orders will be delivered to school Monday, May 15th at 3pm. Please make arrangements to be there to pick up your orders- they will arrive frozen and can be at room temperature for a short time so it is important to keep the 15th open for pick up! We are hoping this will be a new and exciting fundraiser. All the money we earn will be used to cover field trip expenses and end of year assemblies for our students.
Good Monday morning MCS families and friends! Can you believe we are gearing up for a big nor’easter tomorrow? It’s looking like it will start mid-morning and last through till Wednesday. Any guesses on whether school is canceled?
Thankfully the snow will be finished by Thursday, which is our next Family Movie Night in our gym! This time we will be showing Storks, and thanks to a generous donation by the Saucier family, we will have a bigger screen to make viewing easier! We will again be selling popcorn, some baked goods, juices and waters. Additionally, we will be raffling off a Family Movie Night gift basket filled with the movie Storks, popcorn, and candy! Kiddos are welcome to wear their jammies, and parents/guardians can bring chairs to use. Reminder that when the movie is playing to be respectful to those around you and please limit the talking. We want all our families to enjoy their evening!
Also happening this month, and through April 24th, we are participating in the Maine Recycles Championship powered by CLYNK. For every dollar we raise between now and April 24th, Hannaford will give us an additional $0.50! You can request a bag or two (or three!) by commenting here, returning the slip from the flyer that was sent home, messaging us on Facebook, or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Let us know your kiddos name, teachers name, and how many bags, and we will get those to you within a day or two via your kiddos backpack! The best part of this fundraiser? Any relative who lives near a CLYNK redemption center can participate. Simply give them a bag, or have them log on to their account and choose to donate any of their own earnings from their CLYNK account to us! Search for Margaret Chase Smith School PTA-Sanford.
Thank you all for your continued support for what the PTA does. All money we raise goes back into the school to provide buses for field trips and assemblies for our students, planners and homework folders, supplies for the teachers and staff, new playground equipment, etc. If you are interested in supporting our work even more, consider joining our group or sponsoring us. You can do either by completing the membership form found here. Now is a great time to join, as nominations for next years officers will be happening at the end of May, and to qualify as an officer you must be a member for at least 2 months. Don’t delay, join today!
It’s hard to imagine that there is only two months left of this school year! With that in mind, we will be looking for nominations to the four officer positions of the MCS PTA, President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary. According to our bylaws, in order to be considered for a position, one must have been a member of the PTA for at least two months. There is still time to become a member if you have thoughts or interest in holding an official position within the PTA. Nominations are to be submitted in writing to the secretary within 7 days of our vote. We vote on our new officers during out last meeting of the school year, with the newly elected folks taking office as of July 1st.
Below are the duties of each officer. If you are interested in having the opportunity to be an officer, contact us today to join!
1. Preside at all meetings of the MCS PTA
2.Serve as an ex officio member of all committees except nominations
3. Coordinate the work of the executive board of the PTA
4. Develop agendas for board and general membership meetings in consultation with the executive committee
5. Act as a liaison between the MCS PTA and the school administration, the town administration, and any other relevant community organization, or provide for another appropriate representative, if needed
6. Appoint a parliamentarian, subject to approval of the executive committee
7. Perform such other duties as may be provided for by bylaws, prescribed by the parliamentary authority, or directed by the board of directors.
8. Retains all copies of tax filings and records
1.Perform the duties of the president in the president’s absence or inability to serve
2. Communicate with committee chairs
3. Coordinate with the grade level representatives in order that the Purposes may be promoted
4. Perform such other duties as may be provided for by these bylaws, prescribed by the parliamentary authority, or directed by the president or the executive board.
1. Record the minutes of all meetings of the MCS PTA and provide copies to members within two (2) weeks following any meeting
2 To maintain a complete record of all minutes and be prepared to read the records of any previous meetings
3. File all records
4. Have a current copy of the bylaws
5. Maintain a binder that includes annually updated descriptions and procedures for all the MCS PTA events and responsibilities
6. Perform such other duties as may be provided for by these bylaws, prescribed by parliamentary authority, or directed by the president or the executive board.
1. Have custody of all the funds of the MCS PTA
2. Any accounts held by MCS PTA shall have two names on the account, the treasurer and one other member of the PTA.
3. Deposit funds in a timely manner in a bank designated by the board of directors
4. Maintain a full account of the funds of this local PTA and provide secure backup storage of the information
5. Make disbursements as authorized by the president, executive board, or this local PTA in accordance with the budget adopted at a meeting the MCS PTA membership
6. Have checks or vouchers signed by one person: the treasurer, either during PTA meetings or with at least one witness who is not the recipient of said check/voucher. In the event the treasurer needs to write a check for him/herself, the president will give written permission and witness the writing of the check.
7. Cause to be kept a full and accurate account of the receipts and disbursements in the books belonging to this PTA
8. Maintain a list of all members (to include contact information, position/committees, initial membership date)
9. Provide a written treasurer’s report at all meetings of the association
10. Arrange for liability insurance for MCS PTA in accord with Article IV Section 1.d.
11. Submit the books annually for an audit or financial review
12. Report the findings of the annual audit or financial review to the executive committee, membership, and the treasurer of the ME PTA
13. File the annual 990 report to the IRS and provide a copy of all the filings to the board of directors and the treasurer of the ME PTA
14. Perform such other duties as may be provided for by these bylaws, prescribed by the parliamentary authority, or directed by the president or the board of directors.
Happy mid-October MCS families! It’s hard to believe it’s already the middle of October! Watch your kiddos “Take Home” folders as there will be two things arriving from the PTA. The first exciting piece will be the flyer for our annual Halloween Party! Mark your calendars for October 29th so you can join us for a fun night of games, trick or treating and snacks! We are looking for families to donate candy, inflatable decorations and/or time to help make this event a success. See the flyer here: halloween flyer
The purpose of the penny drive is twofold. One purpose is to collect money that can be put towards providing families in Sanford a Thanksgiving meal, the second purpose is to bring awareness to the program. Did you know that children in our community don’t always know where their next meal will come from? The Sanford Backpack Program sent home 5,000 food filled backpacks during the 2013/2014 school year. Help us help this wonderful program provide food for our neighbors and friends!
Visit their Facebook page for more information:
Happy October! Here is the latest addition of our newsletter for your viewing pleasure. You’ll notice the electronic version is set up different than the hard copy that gets sent home. Let us know what you think of the changes.
Dear MCS Families,
The MCS PTA would like to welcome you to the 2015-2016 school year. The PTA has an executive committee made up of five members: a President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and appointed chair of standing committee. New this year, we are looking for grade representative whom will help us communicate with the parents and teachers of each grade more easily.
The purpose of the PTA is to make every child’s potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for all children. What does that mean? We will work closely with teachers and staff as well as administration on issues that matter most and aim for a solution acceptable to everyone involved. It also means we will be sharing with our MCS families the many ways to voice your concerns in a meaningful and effective way; phoning administration, attending school or city council meetings, etc.
Our other goal is to provide families with fun and inexpensive (or FREE!) events. These events are a great place for families to gather, meet new people in the school community, and have fun together! We offer several different events throughout the year for families to enjoy. Watch out for more information on these events as well as ways you can volunteer to make them a success!
We have several different fundraisers, many of which are yearlong and require minimal work from our families. Monies raised through these fundraisers help provide busses for spring fieldtrips, planners and homework folders, playground upgrades, teacher requested classroom tools, and more. You can start now by clipping box top and returning them with your child and donating your returnable bottles and cans in our pre-marked Clynk bags.
We are excited for this new school year and all the possibilities!
Your MCS PTA Officers
Jessica Cormier, President
Sonja Wood, Vice President
Kate Stimmell, Secretary
Kim Tardif, Treasurer